Sunday, March 25, 2007

Farmer's Market and our weekly menu

This morning I did my favorite weekly errand, shopping the farmer's market. I sent the Boogie and his dad off to have breakfast with some cousins who were in town, and I took our younger son to the farmer's market. I set two personal records at the market today. The first was my arrival time, I got there at 8:30. Most Sunday's I don't make it there until after 11. What a difference it makes to arrive early! All of the vendors were in cheery moods, eager to talk about all of their produce. And the produce was especially lovely, not wilted as it becomes by late afternoon. My other record was the amount of money I spent. Today I walked in with a twenty dollar bill and vowed to leave when I had spent it all. You can get quite a lot for $20! Here's what we went home with: a bag of baby chard, a big bunch of golden beets with the greens still on - a two-fer!, a sweet little bunch of baby carrots, two bunches of arugula, a bag of fingerling potatoes, some crisp, juicy pink lady apples, a gorgeous basket of strawberries - the Boogie's favorite fruit at the moment, a bag of oyster mushrooms - a special treat for me since no one else in the house will touch mushrooms, a bunch of skinny asparagus - the Boogie's favorite new veggie and seven baby artichokes. This will feed us well for the week!

After I return from the market with our load of fresh produce, I like to plan our meals for the week. Here is what we'll be having:

Sunday - Dinner out in the City!
Monday - Pasta with asparagus and Canadian bacon(it will just be the Boogie and me for dinner and he is always a fan of noodles!)
Tuesday - Hamburgers made from the Grass-Fed beef I bought at last week's market, sweet potato fries and a salad
(the Boogie and his dad will be on their own, I am taking the baby out for dinner and a movie with a friend)
Wednesday - Arugula shrimp and couscous
THursday - Chicken breast cooked in tomato sauce with chard and polenta. This is one of my favorite quick dinners. Here's a rough recipe:

1 shallot, chopped
1 bunch chard, washed and rough chopped
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in half
1 jar of tomato sauce

Saute the shallot in olive oil, add the chard, on top of the chard place the raw chicken and then pour the tomato sauce over all. Cook on med/high heat until chicken is done. Spoon over polenta. It takes less than 15 minutes and is so good!

Friday - Boneless pork chops, sauteed baby artichokes, sauteed cubes of butternut squash
Sauturday - Steak night! Niman Ranch Rib Eye steak, covered in salt and pepper and seared to medium rare, 8 minutes per side in a really hot grill pan, roasted beets with balsamic vinegar, garlic and thyme, sauteed beet greens and roasted potatoes

Finally, I am going to make a nice cream of brocolli soup with the brocolli we never managed to eat from the market last week. I'll freeze it to eat on a chilly night.

No comments: