Sunday, September 2, 2007

Apples Galore


We have an old apple tree in our backyard which has been VERY prolific this summer. I've been working hard to keep up with the tree, but despite my best efforts our backyard smells like a cider mill. On Thursday evening I picked about 40 pounds of apples to put up. You wouldn't even know I had touched the tree if you looked at it. I decided to make apple butter for my first round of apple canning. I found a nice recipe on Culinate and got busy. I made 16 jars of apple butter. I also had two weeks worth of green beans in the fridge from my CSA so I decided to make some Dilly Beans too. Only 5 jars of those. I can't wait to see what they taste like! I've never actually eaten a Dilly Bean before. Now I have to find a good recipe for Apple Chutney and something to do with all of the figs and grapefruit!

I am looking forward to next year when the Boogie and maybe even his brother can help me with the canning. This year I did it at night while they slept.

No comments: